Monday, June 29, 2009

Symonds reveals reasons for T20 WC axe


Catching a rugby league game at a pub with just pints of beer for company was the reason Andrew Symonds was dumped from Australia's Twenty20 World Cup squad, the troubled all-rounder has revealed.

Symonds was sent home from the event held in England after breaking an alcohol-related team agreement, Cricket Australia had said at that time.

Opening up about the episode that also cost him his central contract with CA, Symonds said he went out to watch a rugby league match between NSW and Queensland at a pub after the practice match against Bangladesh and returned late, that too drunk.

"I love Origin football and for me, with Origin football comes a few beers. I was wrapped up in watching football and then when I got back (from the pub) I knew then (my career was over)," Symonds revealed in an interview to Channel Nine's '60 Minutes' programme.

The 34-year-old said he felt "caged-in" and feared a mental breakdown due to his inability to cope with the pressure of being an international cricketer.

No comments:

Post a Comment