Thursday, June 25, 2009

PCB chief to convince Younis Khan


Pakistan skipper Younis Khan may have announced his retirement from twenty20 internationals but PCB chief Ejaz Butt says he is confident of convincing the senior batsman to reconsider his decision.

Butt told reporters at the reception hosted by the Prime Minister for the World Cup winning team that he would talk to Younis and convince him to change his decision to retire from T20 cricket.

"There is no need to appoint a new captain for T20 cricket, this job will also be done by Younis. I am confident I can get him around and he will lead the side in all forms of the game," Butt said.

Younis, however, again told reporters that he had retired from T20 cricket after much thought and he would not change his decision.

"I didn't take a hasty decision I thought about it and I think I have done the right thing," he said.

Butt also played down the issue of rewarding the players with cash awards for winning the T20 World Cup.

"I don't think money is the issue here. I don't think even the players are giving it priority. For them and for the nation the significance of winning the World Cup in these

times is far greater," he said.

However, when pressed, Butt said that the board would announce its rewards for the players soon after consultations within the governing council members.

No comments:

Post a Comment